The Steam Engine Days royalty participate in area parades, representing the Hesper-Mabel communities.
Since 1960 a coronation ceremony for a Steam Engine Days Queen takes place at the Steam Engine Grounds, with the exception of the year 1962, when, due to rain, it was held at the St. Olaf Catholic Church. Until 1986, all candidates were required to be members of area 4-H clubs. Each year the queen candidates are sponsored by area businesses. In August of 1986, a “Little Miss Mabel” pageant was organized by the Mabel Promotion Committee. The pageant is now part of the Coronation ceremonies.
2022 Royalty – Queen: Ava Vickerman; 1st Attendant: Izabella Gerleman; 2nd Attendant: Janessa Hershberger; Little Miss: Zoie Hunsaker; Miss Congeniality: Katrinda Whalen
Queen, Attendants & Little Miss Mabel through the years:
- 1960 – Queen: Linda Leistikow; 1st Attendant: Carole Leistikow; 2nd Attendant: Janice Ellestad.
- 1961 – Queen: Beverly Nelson; 1st Attendant: Barbara Amdahl; 2nd Attendant: Renee Williams.
- 1962 – Queen: Beverly Ann Kroshus; 1st Attendant: Julianne Wold; 2nd Attendant: Bernie Horgan.
- 1963 – Queen: Jeanne Garness; 1st Attendant: Carol Halverson; 2nd Attendant: Ruby Rongely.
- 1964 – Queen: Mary Wilkens; 1st Attendant: Elizabeth Pederson; 2nd Attendant: Rhoda Olson.
- 1965 – Queen: Alice Hagen; 1st Attendant: Gail Newhouse; 2nd Attendant: Sheila Headington.
- 1966 – Queen: Sharon Thompson; 1st Attendant: Nina Kay Wold; 2nd Attendant: Linda Thingvold.
- 1967 – Queen: Margaret Gallagher; 1st Attendant: Connie Wennes; 2nd Attendant: Jacquelyn Kvam.
- 1968 – Queen: Faith Newhouse; 1st Attendant: Cherry Mickey; 2nd Attendant: Lynee Kruse.
- 1969 – Queen: Karen Sacquitne; 1st Attendant: Rachel Leistikow; 2nd Attendant: Julie Thune.
- 1970 – Queen: Marsha Broghamer; 1st Attendant: Mary Broghamer; 2nd Attendant: Jennifer Dahlen.
- 1971 – Queen: Colleen Sutton; 1st Attendant: Jaclyn Tweeten; 2nd Attendant: Ramona Christopherson.
- 1972 – Queen: Arlene Patterson; 1st Attendant: Gretchen Dahlen; 2nd Attendant: Beth Underbakke.
- 1973 – Queen: Pauline Paulson; 1st Attendant: Sue Christopherson; 2nd Attendant: Jeanett Wendling.
- 1974 – Queen: Kim Eide; 1st Attendant: Marilyn Amundson; 2nd Attendant: Marybeth Sacquitne.
- 1975 – Queen: Cherry Paulson; 1st Attendant: Debbie Swenson; 2nd Attendant: Nancy Blexrud.
- 1976 – Queen: Marilyn Headington; 1st Attendant: Renee Erickson; 2nd Attendant: Susan Pederson.
- 1977 – Queen: Karen Gregg; 1st Attendant: Barbara Johnson; 2nd Attendant: Debra Stangler; Miss Congeniality: Joan Carolan.
- 1978 – Queen: Marcella Storlie; 1st Attendant: Judy Folstad; 2nd Attendant: Laurie Arneson; Miss Congeniality: Shari Headington.
- 1979 – Queen: Julie Coyle; 1st Attendant: Deanne Baker; 2nd Attendant: Marsha Sollien; Miss Congeniality: Barb Kuhn.
- 1980 – Queen: Sally Garness; 1st Attendant: Deb Gjere; 2nd Attendant: Brenda Hotvedt; Miss Congeniality: Deb Gjere.
- 1981 – Queen: Tami Solum; 1st Attendant: Diane Stangler; 2nd Attendant: Stephanie Casterton; Miss Congeniality: Danette Bergey.
- 1982 – Queen: Becky Bollweg; 1st Attendant: Saundra Solum; 2nd Attendant: Sue Arneson; Miss Congeniality: Sue Arneson.
- 1983 – Queen: Beverly Hotvedt; 1st Attendant: Cindy Peterson; 2nd Attendant: Rochelle Brenno; Miss Congeniality: Cindy Peterson.
- 1984 – Queen: Taresa Tweeten; 1st Attendant: Kay Thunberg; 2nd Attendant: Jana Swenson; Miss Congeniality: Dawn Evenson.
- 1985 – Queen: Charaye McCabe; 1st Attendant: Michelle Fossum; 2nd Attendant: Jody McKenna.
- 1986 – Queen: Angela Norby; 1st Attendant: Lynell Johnson; 2nd Attendant: Crystal Janssen; Little Miss: Amy Darrington.
- 1987 – Queen: Alison Scheel; 1st Attendant: Sara Arneson; 2nd Attendant: Tonia Bakke; Little Miss: Amanda Johnson.
- 1988 – Queen: Valerie Peterson; 1st Attendant: Marci Gaare; 2nd Attendant: Kristen Vatland; Little Miss: Kathy Jo Rasmussen.
- 1989 – Queen: Rochelle Fossum; 1st Attendant: Becky McKenna; 2nd Attendant: Holly Norby; Little Miss: Andrea Dahl.
- 1990 – Queen: Heidi Jo Luehmann; 1st Attendant: Deb Helgeson; 2nd Attendant: Amy Schmitt; Little Miss: Dianna Stortz.
- 1991 – Queen: Michelle Glenna; 1st Attendant: Kirsten Flaa; 2nd Attendant: Bobbie Jo Torgerson; Little Miss: Caryn Wilson.
- 1992 – Queen: Diana Kowalsky; 1st Attendant: Emily Budde; 2nd Attendant: Laura Hein; Little Miss: Marie Larson.
- 1993 – Queen: Jaime Himmer; 1st Attendant: Melissa Folstad; 2nd Attendant: Tina Bakke; Little Miss: Brittany Pierce.
- 1994 – Queen: Emily Breitsprecher; 1st Attendant: Tiffany Pepin; 2nd Attendant: Tara Rasmussen; Little Miss: Jaclyn Swenson.
- 1995 – Queen: Alissa Nelson; 1st Attendant: Honey Mae Newman; 2nd Attendant: Valerie Garness; Little Miss: Ashley Hanson.
- 1996 – Queen: Sarah Schmitt; 1st Attendant: Shannon Ehler; 2nd Attendant: Rachel Glenna; Little Miss: Carrie Welscher.
- 1997 – Queen: Sarah Russell; 1st Attendant: Bethany Wilder; 2nd Attendant: Sarah O’Connor; Little Miss: Janessa Richardson.
- 1998 – Queen: Ellie Horihan; 1st Attendant: Erin Underbakke; 2nd Attendant; Little Miss: Addyson Sand.
- 1999 – Queen: Michelle Riley; 1st Attendant: Kristin O’Connor; 2nd Attendant: Amanda Huerkamp; Little Miss: Morgan Gjere.
- 2000 – Queen: Laura Swenson; 1st Attendant: Kayla Hotvedt; 2nd Attendant: Jenny Himmer; Little Miss: Katharine Hotvedt.
- 2001 – Queen: Lindsey Grooters; 1st Attendant: Michelle Crawford; 2nd Attendant: Amy Kallis; Little Miss: Morgan VanMinsel.
- 2002 – Queen: Melissa Glenna; 1st Attendant: Brittney O’Connor; 2nd Attendant: Marie Larson; Little Miss:
- 2003 – Queen: Corinne Vick; 1st Attendant: Brittany Pierce; 2nd Attendant: Heather Rasmussen; Little Miss: Sara Vettleson-Trutza
- 2004 – Queen: Kathleen Wiltgen; 1st Attendant: Kristina Hirsch; 2nd Attendant: Amber Myhre; Little Miss: Savanna Hunter.
- 2005 – Queen-Raechelle Manning; 1st Attendant: Kayla Nelson; 2nd Attendant: Stephanie Aberg; Little Miss: Debra Hershberger.
- 2006 – Queen: Erika Whalen; 1st Attendant: Jenna Amdahl; 2nd Attendant: Carrie Welscher: Little Miss: Aubrey Norby.
- 2007 – Queen: Lindsay Anderson; 1st Attendant: Kendra Sand; 2nd Attendant: Stephanie
Coon: Little Miss: Maddison Michels.
- 2008 – Queen: MacKenzie Geving; 1st Attendant: Aubrey Whalen; 2nd Attendant: Shelby Adkins; Little Miss: Alexis Williams.
- 2009 – Queen: Lindsey Kuhn; 1st Attendant: Clarissa Clausen Spande; 2nd Attendant: Morgan Gjere; Little Miss: Lauren Wyffels.
- 2010 – Queen: Alyssa Burmester; 1st Attendant: Bailey Hanson; 2nd Attendant: Amy Adkins; Little Miss: Brianna Wallin.
- 2011 – Queen: Christy Welscher Smith; 1st Attendant: Morgan Roppe; 2nd Attendant: Amanda Rasmussen; Little Miss: MacKenzie Kelly.
- 2012 – Queen: Lydia Geving; 1st Attendant: Christina Lee; 2nd- Attendant: Payton Bergey; Little Miss: Janessa Hershberger.
- 2013 – Queen: Taylor Adkins; 1st Attendant: Sara Vettleson-Trutza; 2nd Attendant: Stephanie Phillips: Little Miss: Lydia Vatland.
- 2014 – Queen: Emma Wathier; 1st Attendant: Alyssa Tangen; 2nd Attendant: Megan Melbostad; Little Miss: Kinley Soiney.
- 2015 – Queen: Courtney Graves; 1st Attendant: Jasmin Scrabeck; 2nd Attendant: Debra Hershberger; Little Miss: Alyvia Olson.
- 2016 – Queen: Avery Arneson; 1st Attendant: Aubrey Norby; 2nd Attendant: Harley McCabe; Little Miss: Lauren Burke.
- 2017 – Queen: Maddison Michels; 1st Attendant: Hannah Snell; 2nd Attendant: Anna Erickson; Little Miss: Brooklyn Nelson.
- 2018 – Queen: Sadie Morken; 1st Attendant: Alexis Williams; 2nd Attendant: Brooklyn Wallin; Litte Miss: Raelynn Tollefsrud.
- 2019 – Queen: Lauren Wyffels; 1st Attendant: Katelyn Kleiboer; 2nd Attendant: Kaylor Soiney; Little Miss: Reagan Gallagher.
- 2020 – Queen: Halle Norby; 1st Attendant: Brianna Wallin; 2nd Attendant: Gwen Tollefsrud; Miss Congeniality: Emma Tollefsrud; Little Miss: Zoey Rein.
- 2021 – Queen: MaKenzie Kelly; 1st Attendant: Kelli McClimon; Little Miss: Ella Austin.
Did you know….The Queen’s robe is the same one used since 1963!
The Story of the Queen’s robe
By Clara Karli (From the 30th Anniversary Hesper-Mabel Steam Engine Days Program, Martell Publishing Co)
The first Hesper-Mabel Steam Engine Days held in Mabel on what was Welch’s property south of Mabel was September 9, 10 & 11, 1960. The 4-H club activities were one of the main attractions. Harold and Clara Karli as co-chairmen organized the queen contest, floats, banquet, coronation, etc. and served on the committee including Loyes Housker, Alice Kessel and Claribel Johnson. The queen’s robe was rented until 1963 when, with the help of Alice Kessel, Clara drew up a pattern fashioned after a rented robe and got the material at Amluxen’s in Minneapolis. Clara sewed the robe which is still being used today by the school as well as the Steam Engine Days Queen. The first Hesper-Mabel Steam Engine Days Queen was Linda Leistikow with Carol Leistikow as first attendant and Janice Ellestad, second attendant. Bernie Lusk of Station KROC, Rochester was a part of the 4-H Queen Coronation on Saturday night.
The following is a listing of materials and prices of the Steam Engine Days Queen’s robe: 2 spools red @ $0.29; 1 spool white @ $0.29; 3.5 yd snap tape @ $0.59; 3 yd. Rabbit fur @ $3.50; 17 yd. Velvet @ $3.98; 7 yd. Satin @ $0.59; 2 red hemming tape; 2 white wide twill; hook and eye; cutting – 2 hours; sewing = $46.03